Sunday, January 27, 2008

Winter Kayaking Day 2

Any day kayaking is a good day so I took advantage of the weather once again and headed out on the lake for the second day in a row. Today I paddled a much more inhabited section of the lake and saw bass fishermen, sailboats, a pontoon boat, and some noisy, disruptive 4wheelers on land in the 'not-far-enough-away' distance. As a matter of fact, they were tearing up the rocky hillsides next to the coastline on the lake (where they are not supposed to be) instead of staying inside their free 4 wheeling area that is clearly fenced far off from the water. Since it had rained recently and the ground was saturated and muddy, 4 wheeling all over the no trespassing areas was especially damaging on a day like today. I am sure they did their part today to contribute to the already occurring coastline erosion.
But even with all of the human commotion going on nearby, I was able to hang out with some of the local fauna and relax. A Great Blue Heron let me slip on past and I hung out a while with a group of White Pelicans who allowed me to take pictures as long as I didn't get too close.


































Toward the end of the afternoon while I was hauling my kayak out in one of the local parks, some young deer came out to graze near the shoreline. What started out as 2 or 3 became a whole herd and when I finally left at sundown I had counted 56 in all! I must admit, thats the most deer I've ever seen in one place at one time!











As evening closed in the sun set across the lake. Another perfect ending to a perfect day.





No comments: