Friday, January 18, 2008

Hiking / Jogging Sam Houston Nt'n Forest


January 11, 2008.
A beautiful afternoon in Central Texas and a chance to hike/jog the Chinquapin trail in Huntsville State Park! It is located in the beautiful Sam Houston National Forest. This is one of my favorite hike/mountain bike trails in East Texas and also one of the first places I ever mountain biked (so I am partial)! The piney woods are spectacular here, and a mecca for birds. The Red Cockaded Woodpecker lives in
these woodland areas, and although I did not see one of them today, I did get a visit from a Yellow Bellied Sap-Sucker and a few Goldfinches. Here is a picture of the Sap-Sucker from afar......

The sights and sounds here are a welcome escape from the all too close metro areas of north Houston and I-45. Even in all the glory of these preserved forested areas you can still hear the faint drone of road traffic and the airplanes cut into the peaceful silence of this sanctuary way too often. Regardless, I still love this place with its sandy soils, hilly terrain, and piney woods smell. An afternoon in paradise......




No comments: